I am sinking into warm geothermal water on this chilly morning. My body is suspended on a floating foam mat and gone limp. I am getting the best life time massage at the Iceland’s Blue Lagoon. It helps me forget my stressful city life.
The only thought that rushed through my mind while in the Blue Lagoon is why I don’t come for the massage every weekend.
Going by theory, I could. Getting to the Blue Lagoon requires a five-hour flight from New York and then a 20 minute ride by bus. This makes it the easiest weekend getaway.
This is the second time that I have visited the Iceland’s Blue Lagoon. It is isolated and feels like it is among the last places in Europe where you can easily get a culture shock (just try ask any locals about elves and you will certainly get what I mean). When I first visited Iceland, I did everything. I drove through snowstorms that were blinding, hiked glaciers, played with miniature horses (were so adorable by the way), and ran down black sand beaches. To top on all these, I sank my body into the Blue Lagoon. The experiences that I got from that time made me keep on dreaming about these sky blue waters.
This second time that I stopped over I had limited time. 24 hours alone weren’t enough for me to repeat all my first time activities. But one thing I was sure of was that, 24 hours are enough for me to hit my favorite spot- the Blue Lagoon. It is so relaxing, has a soothing massage and provides convenience while shopping.
The Blue Lagoon Experience: Worth the Hype
The Blue Lagoon is different from the geothermal springs that are in Iceland. It is very convenient and easy to visit it considering its top notch amenities that it has. The fact that it has been sandwiched by an airport and Reykjavik makes it advisable to visit after or before your flight. During this second visit, I went to the airport and checked my luggage. The kiosk check point is located right at the drop off point of the lagoon.
When you check in, you will be given a bracelet that will take care of your transactions. Therefore, you do not need to carry cash. You have the option of choosing from many packages that will earn you various amenities and also additional treatments such as under water massage. Put your stuff inside a locker, grab your towel and rob and then hit your favorite spot.
Who are the guys that visit the lagoon? The lagoon is visited by pretty much everyone. It could be an individual, a group of people or even a couple. During this trip I went alone and had an awesome moment. On the future trip, I would love to come back with a beau.
How to Handle “Blue Lagoon Hair”
- Do not dunk your head in the water. To avoid these issues, you could opt to wear a bathing cap
- With that noted, having your head submerged under the water gives you a great feeling. It also goes a long way in favoring your scalp. You cannot avoid getting your hair wet, especially if you are getting an underwater massage. These tips may be helpful to help you regain your normal state once you are done:
- Before starting the underwater massage, douse your hair with sufficient amount of leave-in conditioner
- After getting out of the lagoon, do not panic after realizing that your hair is sticky and dry. This is just as a result of minerals building up and is not permanent.
- Self-conditioning your will not be so efficient in restoring it back to normal. I trust Prell for this.
- Depending on the levels to which your hair has experienced a build up, you may need a number of conditioning treatments for it to go back to the normal state.