Numerous buildings have been destroyed by a strong quake in Norcia, central Italy,
This takes place approximately two months after 3000 people were killed and several towns destroyed by a major earthquake.
The tremor occurred on early Sunday and measured 6.6. It is said to be larger than the one that took place on august and aftershocks in the last week. The tremor is termed to be the most ever violent in decades to be experienced in Italy.
Though no death cases were reported, so far, at least 11 individuals were left with serious injuries. Many local residents had to leave after the quakes that took place last week.
According to the Italian media, some nine people have been pulled from the rubble. The nine were alive.
The impact of the tremors were strongly felt in Rome, the capital city of Italy, and also far away in the North, Venice. The quake has a depth of 1.5 KM (approximately 0.9 mile).
According to the US Geological survey, the quack was 68Km South-East next to Norcia town and at the centre of Perugia.
Images were tweeted of the Basilica of St Benedict showing the destroyed part of the building as a result of the earthquake. The images were tweeted by the monks from the monastery of San Benedetto, which is an international Benedictine community in Norcia.
“The monks are all safe, but our hearts go immediately to those affected, and the priests of the monastery are searching for any who may need the Last Rites,” said one of the monks later in a statement.