To Strengthen the security of the country, the Union Home Ministry of India, has decided to construct 400 additional police stations in 10 naxal affected states. The decision has been taken to improve the security conditions in the country, the Home Ministry said.
Replying to an RTI application filed by an RTI activist, the Left Extremism division of the Union Home Ministry said that the central government will be building 400 additional police stations in the Naxal areas of 10 states, allotting Rs. 2 crore to each station. The RTI reply said that 80% of the cost of the construction will be born by the Central government and the remaining 20% by the state governments.
The States considered under this plan are Andhra pradesh, Odisha, Tamil Nadu, Maharashtra, Madhya Pradesh, Bihar, Jharkhand, west bengal, Chattisgarh and Telangana, The Times of India reports.
In 2013, the states were allocated 150 crores whereas in 2014, it decreased to 120 crores. Now the budget is only 99 crores. Naxalism has been a major threat in the last 20 years. Several government officials and political figures were abducted by them in the past decade.