U.S. and South Korean military officials confirmed to NBC News that North Korea test-fired yet another ballistic missile.
The test was however a fail as it exploded just some few seconds after lifting off. According to the U.S. military, the missile didn’t go past North Korean territory.
The missile test was conducted at a site in South of the country’s capital in the early Saturday hours local time.
Officials are yet to determine what type of missile was fired.
U.S. President Donald Trump reacted to the test with an early morning tweet, terming it “disrespect to the wishes of China.”
“North Korea disrespected the wishes of China & its highly respected President when it launched, though unsuccessfully, a missile today. Bad!”
North Korea is yet to comment on the matter.
“The launch was unsuccessful and exploded in midair,” said a South Korean military official, adding that they are ready to handle any kind of provocation.
According to two U.S. officials, the short-range missile had the capability of going as far as Seoul, South Korean capital but could not penetrate to Japan.
This is the latest North’s provocation amid increased tensions on the Korean Peninsula. White House confirmed that it has knowledge of the test and that the President has already been briefed.
This test happened just a day after Donald Trump told Reuters that the U.S. and North Korea could be on the path to a major conflict. The possibility of the war is almost inevitable considering South Korea has already put in place missile defense system while Pyongyang persistently pushes on with the tests.
Donald Trump said that it is in the best of his interests and that of America to have the matter handled diplomatically but current conditions do not permit.
North Korea earlier this week marked the founding of its military by conducting “major live-fire drills.”
The South’s Take
South Korea has maintained that if the North continues with these provocations, they will have to take a definitive action.
Moon Jae-in spokesperson hoped that the International community will readily punish a country that is quickly turning rogue.
Japan on the other hand announced after the failed test that they are taking precaution.
“The Japanese government will closely coordinate with the related countries such as the U.S. and South Korea at the United Nations Security Council and so on to urge North Korea to restrain itself while we are taking every precaution to face any contingency,” said Japanese Chief Cabinet Secretary Yoshihide Suga.
North Korea has remained adamant with its tests despite international sanctions imposed on the country. On 15 April as it marked the birth of its founding father, it conducted a test that failed almost immediately. The country has consistently warned that it is ready to launch an intercontinental ballistic missile although it is yet to successfully carry out such a test.
The UN Security Council
US Secretary of State Rex Tillerson spoke at the United Nations Security Council, warning of dire consequences if the council doesn’t respond to the threats. He said that it’s only a matter of time before Pyongyang develops the capability to hit US mainland.
He said that if need be, the U.S. will take military action.