Police officials have confirmed what led to the 24-storey fire and in the process killing at least 79 people. The Grenfell fire is said to have originated from a faulty fridge, while the block’s cladding and insulation failed to pass safety tests.
Witnesses in the scene describe that they heard a resident exclaiming that the fire was triggered by his appliance.
The Hotpoint FF175BP model has been linked to the incident despite the product not having been subjected to any recall.
One of the investigators, Ms McCormack, said that the tests had been done on a small scale. She added that all she could comment on at the moment is the tiles and insulation that doesn’t pass any safety tests.
“What we are being told at the moment by the Building Research Establishment is that the cladding and insulation failed all safety tests.”
The group’s duty is to figure out how the fire began.
According to Ms McCormack, the insulation so far has been found to be more flammable compared to the cladding. Preliminary tests indicate that the insulation caught up fire quickly immediately it broke out.
“We have immediately shared the data with the Department for Communities and Local Government. [It is] sharing the information with local councils,” she said.
Several UK Towers do not pass tests
Different tests have been conducted on a variety of UK buildings, with three towers being found to contain combustible cladding.
According to Downing Street estimates, about 600 high-rise buildings utilized the same cladding that was used to build the Grenfell Tower.
Speaking to a somber House of Commons, Ms May said that she had been “informed that a number of these tests have come back as combustible.”
“We are in touch with all the local authorities to encourage them to urgently send us the samples and then we will carry out the checks that we need to see where we are with that,” said a Number 10 spokeswoman.