EUROPE: The transport minister in Belgian has resigned due to allegations that she was ignorant about security lapses at the airport before the 22nd March attacks.
A document which has surfaced has shown that there were security lapses at the airport as revealed by inspectors from the European Union.
The opposition parties revealed the confidential document but Minister Jacqueline Galant had denied seeing it.
The Zaventem airport attacks as well as those at Brussels metro station led to the death of 32 people.
Prime Minister Charles Michel had previously defended Ms Galant, and he had told parliament that her office had not seen the critical EU report.
After more documents were published on Thursday, Mr. Michel said that the document had been discussed as opposed to what was communicated to him.
He further said that he had held a meeting with Ms Galant on Friday morning after which she handed in her resignation.
In her resignation letter, Ms Galant said that “the orchestrated and theatrical confusion of the last 48 hours prevents me from continuing in the performance of my duties”.
The minister resigns after the Federal transport agency Chief Laurent Leoux resigned on Thursday.
He had complained that he did not get funding from Ms Galant and added that the Minister herself should be responsible and step aside.
Ms Galant said on Friday that she was shocked by the way Mr Ledoux had resigned, and said he was carrying out a “media crusade”.
The public broadcaster RTBF published the 2015 European Commission report in which it cited “serious deficiencies” and “inadequate monitoring.”
The Belgium minister quits as attempts to keep the country free of terrorism go on.