CHENNAI: Tamil Nadu politics took a major turn with O Panneerselvam revolting against the chief ministerial candidate Sasikala in the last minute. The revolt, though surprised many, had the backing of the netizens and some of the crucial AIADMK leaders. Here are the 10 key developments in Tamil Nadu so far.
1. O Panneerselvam, the most trusted leader of the AIADMK cadre had at last revolted against the powerful VK Sasikala on Tuesday. Just before making his stance public, Panneerselvam meditated for half an hour before the Jayalalithaa memorial at Marina beach. “I am putting forward these facts to make it public that I will continue to struggle for the future of Tamil Nadu. I will take back my resignation if MLAs and the people want me to do so. I am being pressurized by Sasikala’s camp to resign from my post to make line clear for her to become the Chief minister”, Mr. Panneerselvam revealed.
2. Panneerselvam accused the Sasikala camp of being annoyed with his government’s success in handling Jallikattu issue and cyclone Vardah. “They don’t want my government to be successful and to get the backing of the public”, he said.
3. Soon after the revolt of O Panneerselvam surfaced the local media, VK Sasikala staged an emergency meet and declared that the opposition party DMK was behind O Panneerselvam’s revolt. She further added that she has the support of the AIADMK MLAs and there was no problem in her becoming the chief minister of Tamil Nadu.
4. Further, Sasikala announced that Panneerselvam’s primary membership of AIADMK will be removed and that he will also lose the post of party treasurer.
5. Soon after the AIADMK General secretary, Sasikala removed Panneerselvam as the party treasurer, he said that no one had right to do so and rubbished the claims that DMK was behind his revolt at the Marina beach.
6. On the other hand, DMK’s working president MK Stalin extended his support to Panneerselvam’s struggle. He said that action should be taken against those threatening the Tamil Nadu chief minister to resign.
7. National party Congress blamed the NDA government at the Centre for the chaos in Tamil Nadu. Congress criticized that the BJP government is trying to stamp its presence in Tamil Nadu by creating a situation of chaos and getting some advantage.
8. As soon as Panneerselvam concluded his press meet at the Marina beach, he had started trending in the social media with praises from the netizens. Residents on twitter criticized Sasikala for putting the future of Tamil Nadu at stake for her own selfish motives.
9. Not to forget, Sasikala is yet to receive a final judgment from the Supreme court in the disproportionate case involving the former Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu, Jayalalithaa. A positive verdict will definitely strengthen her presence in the AIADMK, but a conviction might put her ambition as Tamil Nadu chief minister to an end.
10. PH Pandian, a veteran ADMK leader also voiced concerns over the future of Tamil Nadu on Tuesday. He said that Sasikala does not have the popularity or the public support which is needed to either become the party head or the Chief minister. He further added that party leaders were made to say that they want Sasikala, which was against the norms of the party. “Cadres should select their leader and not the leaders”, he said.