MOSCOW: According to the reports from a Russian news agency INTERFAX, India has been removed from the list of safe travel destinations for the Russian tourists. The decision from the Russian Government comes as a big blow to the struggling Goa’s tourism.
The Russian Information Center in Goa, said in a statement on Saturday that a revised travel advisory had been released by the Government after blacklisting Egypt and Turkey.
Head of the Russian Information Center in Goa, Mr Ekaterina Belyakova said both India and Goa were removed from the list of safe destinations for Russian tourists to travel abroad. The decision taken by the Russian Government may impact the already reeling Goa’s economy. Figures say that as many as 2,50,000 Russian tourists visit Goa every year during the summers. Russians contribute more than 50% of the total foreign tourists who visit Goa every year.
On contrast, Russia named South Vietnam, Cuba and Southern China as the safest places for Russian tourists to travel.
Earlier, Russian President Vladimir Putin cancelled all the flights to Egypt after the October 31st explosion of a passenger plane over the Sinai Peninsula. The President called on its citizens to cancel all their vacations in Turkey following the downing of Russian warplane recently.
Top sources said that the decision to avoid India as a safe destination was taken based on the cost-effective reasons, rather than anticipated terror attacks. An official from Russia pointed out that a tour to India is more expensive when compared to other Asian destinations.
Analysts say that the move from Russia was a tactic to ensure improved facilities for the Russian tourists in India.