Donald Trump’s administration has defended its Yemen raid, terming it a huge success despite claims that it may have resulted in the deaths of civilians, bearing in mind that one Navy SEAL was killed.
The chairman of the Senate Armed Services Committee, Senator John McCain had earlier on referred to the operation as a total fail, reports NBCNews.
But in a strong defense of his boss, White House press Secretary Sean Spicer said that it’s absurd to think the operation did not succeed. Anyone who says it was a failure is practically doing “disservice” to the life of Chief Ryan Owens, who was killed during the raid.
The press Secretary said that Owens and his family gave up for the country and anyone thinking otherwise is disrespecting them.
The raid had been conducted over the weekend and not only did one member of the Navy SEAL die but also three others got injured. The U.S. managed to take down 14 al-Qaeda fighters with some claiming that possibly civilian non-combats may have been killed as well.
Differing point of views
With his announcement aimed at protecting the administration, Spicer has practically negated his last week’s assessment.
He had said then that terming a raid success when a life is lost is inappropriate.
McCain has remained vocal over the matter, informing reporters yesterday that the Saturday raid was nothing close to a success.
He said that each army conducts an operation with an objective. “And while many of the objectives of the recent raid in Yemen were met, I would not describe any operation that results in the loss of American life as a success,” he said.
This is Mr. Trump’s first directly-approved operation done by the elite counterterrorism unit SEAL Team Six.
But the New York Times reported that the Yemen government had been upset by the raid because it led to the death of civilians. As a retaliatory action, the country is said to have withdrawn U.S.’s permission to carryout ground missions.
However, U.S. Central Command spokesperson revoked the claims, saying that there are no changes so far. No one has directed them to desist from operating in Yemen.
His statement was supported by a report in Associate Press, in which Yemen’s foreign minister turned down such allegations and that they had only ordered for a reassessment of the raid.
Spicer also said in the press release that White House is working hand in hand with the Yemen government to gather more information that would be availed later on.